We've Got to Do Better

Over the years, there's been a lot of controversy about our generation. How dudes sagg their pants (which I don't approve of), to saying the word "nigga", to the most recent, how we we're so care free. I understand how people can think that, because look where we have come? The generation before us was all about the civil rights, having marches, rallies, boycotts and what not, fighting for them and for the future children. We are the future that they were fighting for. We are now reaping the benefits from all the terrible acts that those strong black men stood up against. Yet, we take take take without a lesson as to how easy it is for us to take.

--
When slaves were taken from Africa and brought to this stolen land they still were familiar with their language, I'm sure they spoke it amongst their people either in secret or in private. Yet, as time passed the language faded away also. My point is that if something isn't discussed, used, emphasized, it may be lost or incomplete. We as a people need to do better. Look at the Hispanics, all of their children are bilingual. That still surprises me.

As I was growing up, I could fluently speak my native language which is "Yoruba" (Nigeria). And when I say fluently, I mean a full on-going discussion when I was 3 years old, but as I grew older I stopped speaking it and spoke more english. I still understand, yet I don't speak Yoruba as much. But I can't say all of this without applying it to my own life, I must practice what I preach. So my plan is to take my children to Nigeria to raise them there for a couple year so they can carry on my language.


--Overall, It's up to the previous generation and us to instill the memories of what took place on this land several years ago. We do have it nice, all these laws against race discrimination and sex discrimination, we have the right to sue people. They really didn't. We even have this beautiful Historically Black College: Prairie View A&M University. Take advantage, learn why your teachers still teach at these various schools. Pick up a book, read up on African History from African publishers.

0 comments: